[wg11] Usage of Part 28 Edition 2

Mason, Howard (UK) howard.mason at baesystems.com
Wed Jun 9 05:19:42 EDT 2004

Sorry for multiple postings, but this issue seems to cut across several groups.

Part 28 ed 2 is out for CD ballot, and implementation experience seems to be revealing a number of additional requirements - principally for simplicity.  In an ideal world, these would have been identified in advance, or at least during consideration of the working drafts leading up to the CD.  However, experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

While we could stick rigidly to the ISO process and wait until the end of the ballot process to consider any of the issues, I believe that the proximity of the Bath meeting allows an opportunity for the pilot users and the developers to discuss the impact of these experiences on the draft and expedite the development of a document that will meet the needs of the SC4 community.  This will involve WG3 and WG11 as a minimum, and I suggest that WG11 takes the lead in scheduling a session during the Bath meeting.

I do not believe that such a process would inhibit comments on the current draft = indeed SC4 has often taken the opportunity to address early comments on documents under ballot, in order to expedite delivery.  The debate could also serve to inform ballot comments from national bodies.

I do believe that we need to focus on facilitating the exploitation of our information models in an XML world - this objective will not be served if the result is too complicated for general use.

Howard Mason