[wg11] Re: Choice of exploder

Ed Barkmeyer edbark at nist.gov
Tue Jun 8 13:26:14 EDT 2004

Gerry Radack wrote:

> Could we have this discussion on a *single* exploder?
 > Cross-posting to multiple exploders does not work very well.
 > A lot of exploders reject messages posted by people who are not
 > members.

thanks to the spammers.

As for useful international discussion of this topic, it sure would have
been nice to have this discussion after Heidi posted previous working
drafts last August and November.  As of 30 April, ISO CD 10303-28.2 is
out for ballot.  This discussion can no longer lead to any result that
doesn't show up in a National Body comment.

This is not a WG3 work item.  I have no current interest in WG3 work
items, and I will not subscribe to that exploder.  This is a WG11 work
item, and the entire technical scope of the standard relates only to
WG11 concerns.  That logic would lead to discussion on the WG11
exploder: wg11 at steptools.com.

All previous technical work on Part 28 (v1 and v2) was discussed on
xmlsc4 at nist.gov, but this work item is no longer in technical
development.  We are now (finally?) discussing REQUIREMENTS for v2 that
arise from the larger SC4 community.  That is why I think the WG11
exploder is more appropriate.

My national body has an email exploder for U.S. comments on Part 28.
Those of us who are U.S.-based should probably take our discussion
there.  (We only have until the end of next week to formulate a ballot
position.)  Other NBs might also find it useful to adopt a similar approach.

[OBTW, the "xmlsc4 at nist.gov" exploder kindly erases all cc's so that
ReplyAll to an xmlsc4 message only goes to the xmlsc4 exploder, just as
Reply (to the author only) also goes to the exploder.  This is a
"feature" of NIST exploders, approved by our CIO Council, so that staff
don't get redundant messages. ;-)]

-Ed

Edward J. Barkmeyer                        Email: edbark at nist.gov
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8264                Tel: +1 301-975-3528
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8264                FAX: +1 301-975-4694

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."