Identification of Express Version

Phil Spiby Phil.Spiby at eurostep.com
Tue May 7 05:04:48 EDT 2002

Pascal,

The main intent with this is to support the schema developers.
It would be nice to think that all EXPRESS parsers supported the latest
version, in that case I guess we could do away with this mechanism. However,
life is not like this!

As the author of a schema you decide what you want to capture in your model,
and which constructs of EXPRESS you are going to use. As a result you
control which version of EXPRESS you are using. To assist people working
with you, or using your model it is, our belief, useful to inform them
formally which version of EXPRESS you have used. If you do not then it is
highly likely that you will receive complaints that your model is wrong
since others will undoubtedly use different tools to verify the model that
you have used.

I know this happens through personal experience. I was writing a model for a
customer, and one of the constraints required TC2 level support. The EXPRESS
toolkit they was using rejected the constraint and refused to build the
required data structures. As a result the customer, knowing that I knew
EXPRESS pretty well, asked me to contact the support desk of their EXPRESS
toolkit vendor. On doing this I was told that this was the expected
behaviour, and that the construct I had used was wrong. Further more could
they help by providing EXPRESS training to me, since I was obviously in need
of it!
I was able to sort things out fairly quickly by calling the person from the
vendor company who attends ISO meetings, and the parser was changed.

For many people they need the confidence in the tool that is does support
the EXPRESS they have written, although this is not guaranteed by this
approach, it should allow tools which do not support the latest version to
be easily identified.

Phil