Identification of Express Version

Ed Barkmeyer edbark at nist.gov
Fri May 3 12:50:52 EDT 2002

David Loffredo writes:
> I have not seen any response or discussion of Pascal's question.  This
> is a good issue, and I'm curious how the EXPRESS team intends for this
> to operate.

I must be missing something here.  Does SC4 assign object-identifiers
to specifications that have no consensus?  In 2003, to what
published specification will
 {iso standard 10303 part (11) version (4)}
refer, if not to ISO 10303-11.2:2002?

The DAM says "Draft" for a reason; it is not a published spec and
does not represent consensus of the P-members of SC4.  Therefore,
no schema can "conform" to it in any useful way.  The draft text
of the Amendment says that the standard, if and when adopted, shall
specify the use of version(4) to indicate conformance to Edition 2,
as distinct from any prior published version.  If some NB believes
that the standard when adopted should specify the use of version(5),
there should have been a formal ballot comment to that effect.

In a similar way, it is to be expected that the availability of
ISO 10303-11:1994 and its published TCs will terminate sometime
after the publication of Edition 2.  For this reason, and related
reasons offered by Japan, we determined in the Editing meeting
to modify the DAM to include a formal conformance class for the
subset of the Express language that is ISO 10303-11:1994 with TCs
(= version(3)), and to specify that an Express processor may conform
only to that conformance class.  Moreover, Edition 2 will say that a
schema file that does not begin with the specified ASN.1 Express
version identifier will be interpreted as intending to conform to the
(version(3)) conformance class.

What am I missing?

-Ed

Edward J. Barkmeyer                       Email: edbark at nist.gov
100 Bureau Drive, Mail Stop 8260          Tel: +1 301-975-3528
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8260               FAX: +1 301-975-4482

and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."