Identification of Express Version

Dave Loffredo loffredo at steptools.com
Fri May 3 14:03:17 EDT 2002

Ed,

If I can summarize your two points as follows:

   #1 -- the ASN.1 identifier will stay the same from draft
      status to IS

Perhaps, but that is not the key issue.  A TC will change the ASN.1
identifier, even if there are no technical changes to the spec.  So
the issue may not hit now, but it eventually will.

   #2 -- the ASN.1 identifier is needed to separate E1 from E2
      schemas.

I completely agree that something is needed to separate the two, but
is the ASN.1 identifer too fragile for this purpose?  THIS is the real
question.  As shown above, the ASN.1 identifier may change because of
editorial fixes that have nothing to do with new language features.

					       - Dave