Various issues on WG11N173

David Price david.price at eurostep.com
Fri Oct 19 10:58:27 EDT 2001

Pascal,

On "As regards symbols ?, *, +, %, a little explanation in a note at the
begining of P28 would not cost a lot of effort." - neither would peeking at
the definitive XML Spec.  ISO guidelines make the point of telling us not to
repeat things from normative references.  When we write the short form of an
AP AIM we don't repeat the definition of "product" from Part 41 either even
though it would be easy to do in a note. The concern is that there's no end
to what people might want to put in a note. You can't remember what *  and +
mean but others might not understand NMTOKEN while others might not
understand PCDATA or #IMPLIED. You can make a case to repeat the whole XML
Spec because you can't know what each reader can't quite remember.

I'll repeat something I proposed in the P28 project but could never get
agreed... SC4 should publish this part in HTML!!!  Then it could link to the
XML Spec and address issues like this very easily.

Cheers,
David