Guidelines for SC4 Test Suites

Mark Palmer mark.palmer at nist.gov
Wed Mar 7 14:09:43 EST 2001

This message was originally sent to:
  qc at cme.nist.gov, wg3 at ctcnet.net, wg10step at steptools.com, sc4 at cme.nist.gov

The transimssion to WG10 failed, so I am resending this.

--Mark Palmer

>Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:39:46 -0500
>To: "Thomas Warren/engl/cas/Okstate" <twarren at okstate.edu>
>From: Mark Palmer <mark.palmer at nist.gov>
>Subject: Guidelines for SC4 Test Suites
>Cc: qc at cme.nist.gov, wg3 at ctcnet.net, wg10step at steptools.com, sc4 at cme.nist.gov

-----------------------

Tom,

Please add to the agenda for upcoming QC meeting:

 - how QC will participate in the delivery of test suites for SC4 standards.
 - how the development of test cases should be included in the QC
checklists for SC4 standards.
 - how to broaden the dialogue across the SC4 projects on developing  test
cases to support the refinement, validation and industry deployment of SC4
standards.

At the February SC4 meeting, I distributed the current draft of the
Guidelines for SC4 Test Suites and held a meeting to discuss comments.
Julian Fowler and a few others provided comments on the previous version.
In early April, I will distribute the next version of the Guidelines for
review and approval by QC, in preparation for advancing the document to
become an SC4 document.  I am expecting some more comments for the version
I distributed at the Funchal meeting.    I will request a QC number from
Julian for that distribution.  If QC would like the current version of the
Guidelines, I can send it with the understanding that QC will send comments
to me by March 29.

"These guidelines pertain to SC4 projects defining implementable data
definition and representation specifications (e.g., ISO 10303 STEP
application protocols, ISO 13984 view protocols, ISO 15926 and other
similar parts)."  At present, there has been minimal input to these
Guidelines from the SC4 projects: ISO 13984 , ISO 15926, ISO 18876 and ISO
18629.

I also request QC recommendations on how to get input from these other
projects to ensure that the Guidelines are also adequate for test cases to
support the refinement, validation and industry deployment of those SC4
standards.  At a minimum, thinking about how these concepts should be
included in the checklists might help motivate more discussion and input.

  WG3 did pass a resolution requesting SC4 to start a log of the test suite
development projects for all of the SC4 projects defining implementable
data definition and representation specifications.   I will follow-up with
the WG3 convener on what action SC4 initiated to respond to the resolution.
  I am including WG10 on this reply as another way to broaden the
discussion and insights from other standards projects.

For scheduling at the June SC4 meeting, the meeting to discuss and resolve
comments on the Test Suite Guidelines is scheduled for:

Wednesday, 2001-06-13, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm		SC4 Test Suite Guidelines

which might be followed by a discussion in the Implementors Forum.

I look forward to the recommendations from QC and the SC4 community.

Regards,

Mark Palmer

Mark E. Palmer
Computer Integrated Construction Group