Ontoloty and SC4 Data Integration Architecture

West, Matthew MR SSI-GREA-UK Matthew.R.West at IS.shell.com
Tue Mar 6 15:27:02 EST 2001

Dear David,

I good pitch. See below for comments

Regards
      Matthew
Matthew West
Operations & Asset Management - Shell Services International
Shell Visiting Professor, The Keyworth Institute

H3229, Shell Centre, London, SE1 7NA, UK.
Tel: +44 207 934 4490 Fax: 7929 Mobile: +44 7796 336538

http://www.shellservices.com/
http://www.keyworth.leeds.ac.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

MW: I know about CYC, and XTM, but not this particular intiative.
However, someone was going to do this sometime.

CYC is a rather different beast than the sort of things that we do
in SC4.

> Also, I noted that it's using XML Topic
> Maps which as I
> mentioned in a previous email seem to be getting a lot of
> press relative to
> SC4 activities. It seems to me we should DO something about that.

MW: Well I guess we could put ISO15926-2 into Topic Maps ...

> I'm
> particularly concerned that what IIDEAS is going to produce soon is an
> overview and methodology while these other groups are producing
> ontologies/frameworks to which industry may become attached.
> I know we have
> the Oil and Gas standard and EPISTLE work available but they
> don't seem to
> be seen as cross-industry activites... even in SC4.

MW: Don't be so sure. I am working in an IEEE group entitled
Standard Upper Ontology (SUO). Think of that as aspiring to be
a next generation CYC but entirely in the public domain. I have
been suggesting that an IIDEAS like approach is taken to development
and of course ISO15926-2 is involved. However, this has to be
translated into KIF, which I am learning is a non-trivial task.

> I don't have a
> particular suggestion and it's possible the O&G and EF work
> have a wider
> audience than I realize but this kind of thing concerns me.

MW: There is probably more resistance to 15926 inside SC4 than
outside.

> February 28, 2001
>
>                     Draft Version of The Upper Cyc Ontology
> in XML Topic
>                     Map Representation. Murray Altheim (Sun
> Microsystems)

MW: I know, or know of this guy, and Daniel Rivers-Moore certainly
does.