[step-manufacturing] Minutes of August 13th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Aug 18 12:30:48 EDT 2014

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for your contribution. I think I understand all your points, but
apologize if I have missed something in the translation.

We need to remember that STEP-NC is seeking to replace M & G codes (ISO
6983) with models. The goals are to make the controls easier to use
because the models include information on what is being machined, and to
enable more reuse of manufacturing solutions.

For some customers the perfect solution is going to be to include the
CAM system on the control because the solution can be developed off-line
and then fine-tuned on-line. These customers will not need STEP-NC-
until they need to send their solution to someone who prefers a
different CAM solution - and this may be never.

The STEP-NC perspective is that the development of a solution in CAM is
a different task to running a solution on the CNC. The CNC should be as
easy and safe to use as possible, and it should be able to run faster or
slower depending on the production schedule, because running faster
usually means more tool wear.

Safety and flexibility require a model of all aspects of the machining
including the tolerances and PMI constraints that have to be met on the
final part, and the geometry of the setup and fixtures so that the
machine supervisor can know where material is to be cut and where
material is to be avoided.

Ease of use requires a complete model of the machining at all times so
that the process can be restarted graphically and so that corrections
(compensations) can be made against the AS-IS or TO-BE geometry of the
part in the context of the tolerances that must be met.

We have not talked about the operation parameters yet. These are not
required for the machining (only the motions are required) but they are
desirable. For example, an operator may want to make a quick change on
the control without going back to the CAM. Hence there is a need for
balancing. If a vendor like Delcam has invested millions of dollars in
developing a new feature then it would be completely wrong for STEP to
harm the value of that IP by including a description in the standard. On
the other hand there are some operations, such as pocketing and
drilling, where the required parameters are known across the industry
and in these cases it would be wrong to deny the CNC operator the
ability to quickly edit a solution.

There are two additional qualities of STEP that need to be understood.
The first is that it is almost infinitely extendible. Because of its
internal architecture, upward compatible extensions are always possible.
These can be done in private fashion by the vendor (though this is not
encouraged) or in public by releasing a new edition of the standard.
Because the standard is upward compatible a solution that worked before
the extension will continue to operate after the extension, while new
solutions take advantage of whatever new features have been added. While
some may cast doubts on this, it is the reason why STEP has been able to
survive for 20 years in the CAD world, and why it will be able to
survive for many years in the manufacturing world.

Finally, there are the security and authorization requirements. There
are several security features in STEP and STEP-NC already but we are now
in the process of updating the file format to support digital signatures
and fingerprints (as part of the PLOT project). The new file format will
allow you to be sure the data has not changed since it was sent with
multiple levels of authorization so that you can be sure the model, or
the PMI, or the process has not changed, since it was published.

Thanks again for your comments. I am looking forward to continuing this
discussion on Wednesday.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing