[step-manufacturing] Minutes of August 13th conference call

Lalliard Laurent Laurent.lalliard at cetim.fr
Mon Aug 18 09:17:38 EDT 2014

Hello,

I regularly follow the development on the STEP-NC standard. Unfortunately my schedule does not allow me to participate to  your discussions.

However, I am always amazed in your discussions to read your positions and the reality of my situation. You mentioned the case of the exchange from the CAM to the NC controller through the APT or the BCL formats and via a third-party solutions to convert these formats. If it's true for users of solutions like CATIA, NX, Creo or even MasterCAM, the situation changes and this conversion step is for us no more a reality. We use the 5 following CAM solutions :
* WorkNc (Vero Software- Sweden after the recent acquisition by the Hexagon metrology group)
* PowerMILL and PowerInspect OM (Delcam - UK)
* Tebis (Tebis - Germany )
* Esprit (DP Technology - USA)
* TopSolid (Missler Software - France)
(According to the last CIMdata  NC Software Market Analysis Report, these 5 companies represent 35% of the CAM market in terms of of installed software licenses against 28% to Dassault+Siemens +PTC and CNC Software)

For these five CAM package, conversion goes through an internal solution and the software evolutions by taking into account the "machine context" (Consideration of the machine kinematics / tool library /  machining related processes ) have made the use of an external postprocessor virtually more and more difficult. This difficulty comes from the stronger link between the software parameters/strategies  and the higher level of the generated code. Under these conditions use an internal postprocessor integrate and sell the postprocessor is also a part of his income for an editor. Use of a single NC-STEP format would also be a loss of activity (as the code generation must run within his solution and his technicians).
His interest is to have a machine code generation that is still compatible with the newest developed strategies. I take as an example the "polar milling" strategy of Delcam. Using it require an update of its Postprocessor so even if you don't have to pay for this function using the new feature generates revenue for the editor. (Web page on the Polar milling :http://www.delcam.com/news/press_article.asp?releaseId=1335 )

Finally, I draw your attention to the case of the Tebis solution. Tebis has a very unique approach to data management : in a single CAD file (*.cad) you can find all the informations of your machining process. You can have not only the geometry information, but also the machines definitions, the tools libraries, all automatic machining process called NCSet but also your POSTPROCESSORS, everything... In these conditions all the knowledge of your business can be stored in ONE file.
To organize and secure  the exchanges between users of their solution (eg within the same group or with a subcontractor) Tebis introduced since version 3.5 the concept of "Know how protection". Users or administrators can now define the levels of protection on the use of these data by a third user. This fundamental notion in collaboration between supplier and subcontractor is absent from the standard Step NC yet it is one of the future challenges of data exchange and collaboration.

On this point the evolution of Step-Nc should provide an answer on this point, before trying to integrate everything into a single format. This concept is much more important in my view that the risks associated with loss of income for editors for accepting a single exchange format.
I recommend to read the Tebis brochure : Increase the productivity  within your CAD/CAM process according to plan(Page 10 to 11)  :   http://www.tebis.com/cms/fileadmin/broschueren/en_ca_Tebis_V35_R1_A4_2010.pdf

The situation in Europe may be different but I think from my point of view that your analyzes are too limited to a situation that is already outdated.

Just my point of view.

Best regards, (I'm sorry for my English which is not as good as I would like)

Laurent LALLIARD
Procédés Performants et Innovants
+33 (0)4 77 79 41 38
[cid:image003.jpg at 01CFBAF7.8BCDEA10]<http://www.cetim.fr/>