[step-manufacturing] Minutes of conference call #12

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Apr 2 10:05:57 EDT 2010

_Attendees_
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Chris Pfeifer CCAT, USA
Fiona Zhao, NIST,/New Zealand
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA

_Apologies for Absence_
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Aydin Nassehi, U.Bath, UK
Stephen Newman, U.Bath, UK
Alain Brail, AlBavis,  France
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Ian Stroud, Switzerland
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Anna Valente, ITIA-CNR, Italy

The latest version of Boxy has 8 setups. It includes half inch tooling,
fixture data, cross section data for the half inch tooling and it has
the feeds and speeds recommended by Sandvik for the selected tool.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/Boxy_Part_3-Axis_Machining_8_Setups_v5.238
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/8_Setup_Fixture_Assembly.pdf

It was suggested that the model could be further improved by adding
consistent datum faces to each workpiece so that the differences between
the orientation of the part in each setup could be more easily observed.
It was also suggested that the feed/speed editor in the STEP-NC Explorer
should be updated to automatically update the feedrate when the spindle
speed changes,

For the tool wear demonstration we will set a non-optimal spindle speed
and then demonstrate the excessive tool wear caused by the selection. We
will then select the optimal spindle speed and use the optimization
algorithm to determine the optimal feeds for that speed. We will then
demonstrate the reduced tool wear.

NIST, Boeing and CCAT are all planning to machine the Boxy part for the
demonstration. The next target is to complete dry runs of the machining
by the next conference call (April 14). Other sites are welcome to
machine the part. The necessary software and data is on the STEP Tools
web site.

We reviewed the AP-214 Usage Guide for the machine tool model. The
primary purpose of the Usage Guide is to allow AP-214 to be used to
exchange models of machine tools between users and machine tool
builders. The Usage Guide is using Part 110 of ISO 14649 to define its
requirements. As is always the case there are many of these requirements
so there was concern about how to help the vendors implement the model.
The first stage is clear: use AP-214 to deliver the geometry of the
machine tool as an assembly. The subsequent stages are not so clear. The
demonstrations suggest that the end users want the second stage to be
implementation of the kinematics model so that the machining of a part
can be simulated. For the vendors this would be a significant
implementation task that might first require many other types of
applications that need kinematics to be considered. Even for machining
we want to be able to simulate the kinematics of the fixtures as well as
the machine tool.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/Manufacturing_resource_modelling_2010-03-31.pdf

The machine tool Usage Guide will be further discussed at the NIST meeting.

The next call will be at the regular times on Wednesday April 14. A
video of this call is on the ftp site.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/stepmanuf_telecon_20100331.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing

Action Items
STEP Tools to add more options to the feed/speed editor.
KTH to add datums to Boxy workpieces.
NIST to prepare a presentation on the HiPP model.
NIST, Boeing and CCAT to dry run the machining.