[step-manufacturing] Seventh Conference Call, Wednesday June 18

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Jun 16 15:13:19 EDT 2008

All,

The next conference call is on Wednesday at the regular times.

1. Discussion on new surface scanning technology
2. Software development progress update and initial feed-speed
optimization results.
3. Discussion on tool path correction techniques.
4. Discussion on meeting invitation and registration forms.

Mitutoyo and Renishaw have developed some exciting new probing
technology that can continuously sample complex surfaces. They have
offered to apply this technology to the Impeller and supply a video
and presentation for our meeting. The following video for an engine
part was taken at the recent  2008 Control show in Stuttgart, Germany

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=U0B7JgM6zCA&feature=related

Cutting tool contact area parameters made using the STEP-NC Explorer
simulator will be available for the fish head data set just before
the meeting. We can compare these results with the results made by
Leon using Vericut and then discuss how to verify similar results for
the Impeller.

The proposal for tool path correction is to measure the error and
then apply a delta to the tool paths in the direction of the surface
normal at the point of contact between the tool and the workpiece.

Drafts have been made for the meeting invitation and registration
forms and put onto the ftp site. Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CCAT/Fall08MeetingInvitation.doc
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CCAT/Fall08MeetingRegForm.doc

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader ISO STEP-Manufacturing