[step-manufacturing] Re: ISO Industry Day Proposed Agenda

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Aug 23 11:45:55 EDT 2006

Hi Akram,

We received criticism in Toulouse because our STEP-Manufacturing
presentations went on for too long.  I would like to avoid this
problem in Hershey so I am wondering if there is a way that we can
make the second half of the agenda more collaborative.

In particular, I know a lot of industry is becoming frustrated
because there is no IMPLEMENTED standard for defining tolerance
information. In STEP-Manufacturing we need these tolerances for
AP-238 closed loop machining, and AP-219 results of dimensional
inspection. I expect you need these tolerances for several of your
metrology standards as well!

The level of frustration has reached a level where there is now
interest in OMAC and STEP-Manufacturing for putting together an
HMI/API for creating the tolerance data. We would use the HMI to
create the (XML) tolerance data for closed loop machining
applications. If the AIAG metrology team were able to use the same
HMI to create data for dimensional inspection then we might be able
to use the synergy to encourage the proper implementation of the
required data within CAD, CNC and CMM systems.

Could we use the second half of the day to discuss this in more
detail? Perhaps you could bring a representative part to the meeting
so that we could discuss how to define the required information. We
can do the same for a closed loop machining STEP-NC part. I think the
meeting would be a great success if we could conclude the day with a
list of say the top 10 items that need to be implemented in the new
HMI/API to cover 80% of the cases and enable its use in seed
applications for machining and inspection.

Martin