[step-manufacturing] RE: [IRB] XML or P21 data exchange testing at Hershey

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Aug 7 11:45:07 EDT 2006

John,

Good questions.

The information content is the same in XML and P21, but there is a
lot more software available for processing XML data so using an XML
file format has the following technical advantages for STEP-NC:

1. Programmers can use XML software to write applications for the data
2. Systems can use XML Schema to check the data
3. Enterprises can mix STEP-NC data with ERP data and other kinds of data

Therefore, the advantage of using XML is the strategic one of making
the data more accessible to a larger community.

The penalty for using XML is larger files sizes. Here are three data points:

                 P21 format              XML format
a               484K                    776K
b               2064K                   3394K
c               2936K                   4636K

All the files measured are CC2 and they include the geometry of the
part, stock, fixtures and cutting tools in addition to the geometry
of the tool paths.

We have not completed our measurements but these volumes seem to
translate into an increase in the typical time to load a file from
three seconds to four seconds. This is because although the file size
has almost doubled, the processing of the file format is only the
first stage of data reading, the next stage is to make semantic sense
of the content and convert it into something that can be processed by
the application. The time for the second stage (and any subsequent
stages) remains the same.

Martin