[wg11] Fwd: RE: Step Standards for Additive Manufacturing

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Aug 28 11:03:51 EDT 2014

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the feedback below. I think it confirms there is an issue and
opportunity.

We can both read P21 files. When the spec is finished we will both be
able to read P21 e3 files.

However, if we do not agree on a common organization for the
partitioning then the only way I will be able to read your e3 files will
be to read all the partitions, assembly all the data in memory and
create my internal data structures, and vice versa for your software.
This is not going to work for incredibly large models.

If we want to be able process each others very large models then we need
to agree on one or more organizations for the e3 files.

A simple example is a matrix. In the header of each P21 file we put a
volume record describing the geometric limits of this model as a
rectangular volume, then when I need to process your data to create a
layer for some kind of machine processing I will be able to limit myself
to those partitions that may contain material in this layer and vice versa.

Obviously this only solves one of the problems because what happens when
you want to visualize the whole model before your print it? (The AVM
program has a very hard time when it wanted to exchange the complete
model of its vehicle. It was only 700M but some of the low end CAD
systems took forever to read and convert the data).

Hence we need some kind of big manufacturing data project. The goal
being to come up with one or more basic data organizations so that we
can all cooperate to:

1. Build very big models
2. Visualize and check them
3. Machine them