[wg11] MOF 2 of EXPRESS?

David Price david.price at eurostep.com
Wed Oct 20 09:58:05 EDT 2004

WG11,

Has anyone done any work on a MOF 2 model of EXPRESS? The OMG Ontology
Definition Metamodel (ODM) project is underway for MOF 2 models and future
QVT mappings for ontology languages that includes UML, OWL, E-R, logic,
Topic Maps, etc but not EXPRESS. I asked, and the OMG ODM team does not have
the capacity to include EXPRESS in their current project. I mentioned this
in a few meetings in Seattle.

Evan Wallace at NIST has offered to have a discussion on this topic at the
OMG meeting in a couple of weeks in DC.

It might make sense for SC4 to get started in this area sooner rather than
later. Our original plan was to do a UML 1.5 Profile of EXPRESS as Part 25
E2, which we started in Seattle, and then do a MOF 2 of EXPRESS once UML
2/MOF 2 were formally published (starting late 2004 or early 2005). That
would be Part 25 E3 or a Part 1x series maybe.

I did a little work a couple of years ago just playing at this. See

 <http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~esukpc20/SC4/EXPRESSMetamodel.ppt>
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~esukpc20/SC4/EXPRESSMetamodel.ppt

Cheers,
David