[wg11] Re: Part 28 in Seattle?

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Sep 13 13:26:55 EDT 2004

David,

Gosh you got me. The community wants a sensible STEP XML.
This means:

a. OSEB is disqualified because it puts data into XML attributes.
   These attributes are supposed to be used for control flags
   not information.

b. ETEB is disqualified because it puts typing data into the XML
   (specifically the inheritance information is included).

We have been selling an OSEB tool (under duress) for about three years.
No one asks for it twice.

I guess I should have extended my first list of requirements to include:

3. The STEP/XML binding should be at least as easy to understand as P21
   and at the very least it should not be harder to understand.

Most people are expecting more than this because nesting can make data
easier to understand.

Specifically, XML gives you the opportunity to aggregate values into
larger structures that make the meaning of the data easier to understand.
ETEB sort of understood this but chose the wrong data to aggregate.
OSEB was just P21 with labels.

If we drop the requirement to translate EXPRESS into another schema
language then it becomes very easy to allow aggregations (in the full
sense of the word not just the EXPRESS sense) in the exchange file.

Martin