[wg11] Re: [step-os] Using STEPMod XML Representation of EXPRESS

Ed Barkmeyer edbark at nist.gov
Tue Sep 7 12:51:29 EDT 2004

All,

The attached two emails represent a proposal for resolving a Part 28
issue.

There was a ballot comment from Japan requesting Part 28 to provide a
means for including "an XML representation of the EXPRESS schema" in
addition to the "text" version currently supported.  At the Part 28
Editing meeting we guessed that the request was for the feature that was
in Part 28 v1.  Apparently that was wrong!  This email would have been a
more useful ballot comment, but neither of these contributors thought to
provide it in July, nor did either think to provide this recommendation
to the editing meeting.  Now we are approaching DIS ballot, but there is
still time for them to make up for their poor timing.

If Japan concurs, David and Josh, will you please write the text to use
the STEPmod DTD, suitably rendered into XML Schema, to provide the
resolution for ballot comment JP-5.  It goes in Clause 5.4 of Part 28.
You can markup N229 or Heidi's latest draft.

Then you can actually make (a part of) an ISO standard that is "de
facto", instead of a competitor.

-Ed

Edward J. Barkmeyer                        Email: edbark at nist.gov
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8264                Tel: +1 301-975-3528
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8264                FAX: +1 301-975-4694

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."