[wg11] Part 28: Incompatible revision of the MAP directive

Dave Loffredo loffredo at steptools.com
Wed Aug 11 18:32:50 EDT 2004

Heidi,

If I understand these plans correctly, I am concerned from a WG11
perspective.  In particular, the line below:

HP> This change in effect makes it IMPOSSIBLE to build a post
HP> processor that can accept an arbitrary configuration file, and
HP> process XML data according to the resulting XML schema.  In
HP> general, the post processor would need specific knowledge of how
HP> to perform any/all such MAPped transforms.

If this is true, than P28 will not be a standard that is implemented,
but rather just a paper mechanism for "blessing" random XML schemas as
STEP by means of an unimplementable config language transformation.

We will no longer have common basis for exchange among our suite of
STEP APs as with P21, only custom point-to-point translators for XML
schemas that cannot be simply transformed into each other.

						- Dave

Original message below ------------------------------