[wg11] Part 28 Issue : Do we need all this configurability?

David Price david.price at eurostep.com
Thu May 20 12:39:01 EDT 2004

All,

Heidi asked for any early comments on Part 28 to be raised on these
exploders given it looks like the team won't have a meeting in Bath. So,
here's a start. The "big ones" first.

In conversations on this exploder and in private, I've heard comments that
lead me to believe some portion of the Part 28 team now thinks that so much
configurability in an ISO standard mapping from EXPRESS to XML Schema is not
necessary.  I share in this view on the basis that a single, consistent
mapping for ISO standard EXPRESS schemas is better than many different
mappings developed for individual APs. at least for the same usage scenario
such as data exchange. We spent a lot of energy in SC4 to get
AP-interoperability that should not be thrown away.

Is there support for removing or vastly reducing and simplifying the ISO
standard EXPRESS to XML Schema configuration capability in Part 28? For
example, could we agree on an EXPRESS to XML schema mapping for each usage
scenario (e.g. data exchange vs. SOAP) and standardize those instead?

Cheers,

David

Phone +44 207 704 0499

Mobile +44 7788 561308