Announcement of Potential New Project : EXPRESS and Binary Data Representation

David Price david.price at eurostep.com
Sun Feb 8 07:46:19 EST 2004

Hello Lothar,

You raise several good points:

The proposal several years ago was to *add* binary representation to Part
21. At the time I was leading the meetings and as Part 21 has "clear text"
in the title, a binary representation was seen as out-of-scope. So, your
memory of my views is almost correct, I was against adding binary support to
Part 21 itself. I cannot remember who was for or against a binary
representation as a concept.

WG11 is an enabler for projects that member countries want to start. To
begin a new project, 5 member countries must agree and the project must show
resources interested in completing the work. So, it's up the member
countries to set priorities, not a WG. If 5 countries won't support a binary
representation, then it will not happen in SC4. If it does happen, your
input is most welcome. I hope you can attend the meeting in March and
discuss your work.

EXPRESS 2 and other P2x standards is a separate question. To that end,
perhaps starting another thread on the exploder would be a good idea if you
want to discuss that particular topic. I do know others are interested as
well. In particular, I am interested in Part 25 support for EXPRESS 2.

Cheers,
David