Announcement of Potential New Project : EXPRESS and Binary Data Representation

Lothar Klein lothar.klein at lksoft.com
Sat Feb 7 12:27:11 EST 2004

David,

The topic to standardise a binary representation of EXPRESS defined
data was already discussed in WG11 years ago. At this time a majority
of WG11 was frown on such an idea and when I remember correctly you
was part of this group!
Consequently people had to develop and implement their own thing.

I should also remind you on my paper
  ISO TC184/SC4/WG11/N144 "EXPRESS/SQL white paper" 2001-02-15
intended as a start to standardise a generic way for storing Express
defined data in a relational database. This idea was also not accepted
by WG11 at that time.

Meanwhile we have a new Express and WG11 has already for long several work
items on its agenda to update all the implementation methods
(and also E_X) for the new Express. This should be the priority for WG11.

Going back to the binary data representation.
LKSoft has developed its own thing. The main motivation was to have a
backup mechanism for an SDAI database. Consequently we call it the
SDAI file format. The SDAI file format supports all features of SDAI
and covers detailed meta information on all the datatypes so that it
is possible to create part21 and part28 files out of it without
knowing further details on the underlying EXPRESS schema.
The SDAI format is speed optimised for reading data into RAM. In
addition it is using compression, is able to include non-STEP data
(so to say a big binary data type), and has a couple of more features.

For now we keep the SDAI file format as a proprietary part of our
JSDAI toolkit. But this may change if SC4/WG11 is all of a sudden
going to standardise something in this area.

Lothar

--
// Lothar Klein, LKSoftWare GmbH
// Steinweg 1, 36093 Kuenzell, Germany