Unused selects in SHTOLO

Phil Spiby Phil.Spiby at eurostep.com
Mon Oct 13 05:33:56 EDT 2003

Folks,

If we are going to remove unused selects from the long form, then there must
be a reason for this. The same reason should be applied to other aspects of
the long form schema also, such as other types, functions procedures and
constants.

If we are going to apply this then we should apply it consistently and
either make the removal mandatory for all of these aspects or not apply it
at all. Adding a switch to annex G just gives us another conformance issue,
adding two switches (one for selects and a second for other things) gives us
four conformance issues. Each of these would have to be tested for validated
parsers!

I would prefer to see all un-used information removed from the longform
schema, since it is only used for implementation and not as the basis of
further modelling I don't see a need for including definitions which would
not be used by a valid population (since no valid population can cause these
aspects to be used!).

Phil