Final technical agreement sought for EXPRESS 2

Phil Spiby Phil.Spiby at eurostep.com
Thu Apr 17 11:45:13 EDT 2003

David,

Over-reaction? Probably!

Having spent the last day reviewing the final draft for Express 2 I was
annoyed to see people apparently saying
"Don't worry about that we don't need that anyway!"

The same situation occurred years ago when I had an argument with
WG7 over constants and why they wasn't supported in P21.

My view on the short-to-long issue is that the implementers have never been
aware of the problem, the long-forms have always been created by ad-hoc
tools and never supported by the EXPRESS community. I think we have a chance
to address this problem and state quite clearly what the implications are of
the USE/REFERENCE choices made in the development of modules etc. The
short-to-long algorithm is being standardised here by the community which
has developed the language and we should maintain as much of the semantic
intent as possible in that algorithm. The implementers can just choose to
ignore the results (as I expect some will to make life easier and cheaper
for their implementations), but then it is a conscious decision to ignore
the information provided.

I don't see a major problem with USE/REFERENCE and namespace/visibility and
instantiation impacts (there are a number of minor problems though! such as
lack of chained references etc.) There are two major language design
features being addressed, resulting in two constructs being defined. There
was a problem with WG4 re-interpretation of these constructs to their own
ideas, but with the new Modules approach some of these old mis-conceptions
have vanished.

Phil