Comments on WG11 N197 (EXPRESS Ed2 Annex G)

Wilson, Peter R peter.r.wilson at boeing.com
Tue Nov 5 12:24:01 EST 2002

All,

    My comments in response to Jochen Haenisch are below.

Peter W.

Dr Peter R. Wilson
Boeing Commercial Airplanes
PO Box 3707, MS 2R-97, Seattle, WA 98124-2207
Tel: (206) 544-0589, Fax: (206) 544-5889
Email: peter.r.wilson at boeing.com
--------------------------------
Any opinions expressed above are personal;
they shall not be construed as representative of any organisation.
--------------------------------

    I understood from Howard Mason's emails that Edition 2 would be
automatically killed by ISO unless they had the IS document in their hands
by 31 January 2003. Has that situation changed? If not, then end of December
is too late and the burial party should start forming.

> Else, it seems that you two are in agreement now (except for
> liking things
> more or less and thinking of the old days)?!?
>
> Did you have a look at the Japanese comments?
> One concerns name clashes - that seems now resolved using the
> _dot_ approach.
> Another one concerns tracebility of the schemas that were
> used to create the
> longform. I think it would be a good idea to add all schema
> names and their
> version ids into a remark block of the longform.

    I believe that any mention of possible contents of any comments has no
place in Part 11. The traceability is a documentation issue which is outside
the scope of Part 11. If SC4 wants some kind of traceability then it is
already in the AP where the short and long forms are specified. If SC4 wants
to go further then the Supplementary Directives is the place to deal with
it, and I will suggest that coments _before_ the start of the long form
schema is the place to put the words. Remember that an EXPRESS processor can
discard any and all comments.