AGAIN: When will EXPRESS Ed 2 review start?

Phil Spiby Phil.Spiby at eurostep.com
Tue Sep 17 04:32:19 EDT 2002

Pascal,

I can understand your frustration over the slippages for EXPRESS 2 but
the cold facts are that at present there is only Jochen and Myself
putting resources into getting the document out (Jochen more so at
present due to him being the editor!). These resources are completely
voluntary, i.e. un-funded, and since we are both working in commercial
organisations the priority for this work has to come lower than work at
commercial rates of pay.

The alternatives I can see are:
1. Kill the EXPRESS 2 project. I don't really want to see this since it
would cause major problems for all those people working on modules etc.
that are depending on EXPRESS 2, but I guess it should be considered.

2. Invest in the project, either fund the people putting the resources
in at present (so it has higher priority within their commercial
organisations) or commit other people (with a mandate from their
employers) to either support the current resources or even to replace
them. Bill Anderson has committed PDES Inc. to support this work by
performing editorial review of the document once it has been completed.

3. Leave things as they are and be grateful when the document does come
out. I think this is the most likely, since option 1 would cause too
much pain for STEP, and option 2 has been pursued within WG11 over the
last year with little success other that the review support from PDES
Inc.

My prediction of early next year is based on the fact that Jochen
expects to finish the complete document in October. WG11, or at least I,
need to review this document and get comments back to Jochen. At the
same time I think we can perform the PDES Inc editorial review to ensure
that we are consistent with Directives Part 3 and SC4 Supplemental
Directives. Jochen will then have to work these comments into the
document. I expect this work to be finished before the end of the year
(but cannot promise it!). I also need to prepare a document covering the
ballot comment resolution. These two documents will then form the basis
of the FDIS ballot which would start early next year. I have assumed
that there are no major technical issues on the short2long annex, and
that any issues raised can be covered by e-mail discussions. I will not
be present at the next ISO meeting due to lack of funding.
Major technical issues WILL delay this process further.

Phil