EXPRESS language version identifier

Wilson, Peter R peter.r.wilson at boeing.com
Wed Jun 12 12:42:18 EDT 2002

    I have heard a rumour that WG11 at Stockholm is recommending the removal
of the EXPRESS language version identifier from the DAM.

    I think that this would be a poor decision. Briefly:

o For long term data retention EXPRESS models and data (e.g., Part 21 files)
will be stored. There needs to be standard method for identifying the stored
EXPRESS language version.

o The DAM introduces new keywords. Any edition 1 model that has used these
as identifiers will be in error if they are parsed as edition 2. EXPRESS
usage is not limited to SC4 so any argument based on "STEP has not used
these as identifiers" is specious.

Peter W.

PS. What is the probability that proposed changes to the DAM will be
circulated to interested WG11 members before the end of the Stockholm
meeting?

Dr Peter R. Wilson
Boeing Commercial Airplanes
PO Box 3707, MS 6H-AF, Seattle, WA 98124-2207
(Package Delivery: MS 6H-AF, 1601 E. Valley Frontage Road, Renton, WA 98055)
Tel: (425) 237-3506, Fax: (425) 237-3428
Email: peter.r.wilson at boeing.com