Alternative Annex B algorithm

Wilson, Peter R peter.r.wilson at boeing.com
Fri Jun 7 18:22:39 EDT 2002

Ed,

    Well, my implementation of the BMW algorithm has now been running for
over an hour and a half on the infamous AP203 representation_item graph,
calculating the "reduced power set" without having run out of any resources
yet, but the hard drive will soon be filled by the log file.

    I first ran the algorithm on the whole of the AP203 long form just to
get a list of the trees. I then edited out everything except the
representation_item entities.

    I do not expect the algorithm to complete on the current machine; there
are 104 entities in the tree, so the full powerset will have 2**104 - 1
(about 10**30) member sets! I would guess that the reduced powerset will
have about 1.5**104 member sets. Anyone want to set up a Beowulf cluster?

    The real advantage of the BMW algorithm is that it provides a means of
checking the validity of a particular instance set without having to first
calculate the evaluated set.

Dr Peter R. Wilson
Boeing Commercial Airplanes
PO Box 3707, MS 6H-AF, Seattle, WA 98124-2207
(Package Delivery: MS 6H-AF, 1601 E. Valley Frontage Road, Renton, WA 98055)
Tel: (425) 237-3506, Fax: (425) 237-3428
Email: peter.r.wilson at boeing.com
Any opinions expressed above are personal;
they shall not be construed as representative of any organisation.