So you say you want a revolution

Bernd G. Wenzel bg_wenzel at csi.com
Fri Oct 26 08:46:34 EDT 2001

Dave,

what you're suggesting would work, but I wouldn't like to do it
this way. Your wording at least suggests, that it is not your
favourite solution either.

If I understand Alan correctly, he's complaining about the
representation of a partial entity instance in an exchange file,
if external mapping is used.

Under all circumstances EXPRESS-2 makes sure, that we know for
every legal entity instance the type for each and every attribute
(although it may be a SELECT type). It is IMHO not the job of P21
to specify, what should be done with instances, which are
incorrect according to P11. So we are safe.

When we now come to the external mapping, I know, that some, but
not all, implementors do not like it, because they have to parse
the whole instance, before they know what the damned thing is
(validation) or maps to (processing). This is the situation with
EXPRESS-1 already. So it is not impacted by the capabilities of
EXPRESS-2.

If my understanding of Alan's argument is correct, the complexity
was introduced when we allowed attribute redeclaration. We have
not added an additional quality here.

:-) Bernd