[wg11-owl] [Fwd: RE: Engineering uses of OWL]

Ed Barkmeyer edbark at nist.gov
Mon Jun 6 12:46:14 EDT 2005

Folks,

I sent out a few probes, and this is the only positive response thus
far...

The PDTnet response was essentially: "we model what we need to capture,
and we leave the 'reasoning' to data mining tools."  That, and the
mention of Fair-Isaac (Blaze) below, suggest that datalogic/SCLP, rather
than FOL or DL, may be the preferred reasoning technology for
engineering (as Evan hinted).

"Situated" logics, like datalogic, reason from current knowledge
(facts), rather than "ontological truth".  The main difference is in the
interpretation of NOT X.  In datalogic, NOT X means "X is not known to
be a fact by the agent at this time (even after any deductions the agent
was told or knew to perform)".  In mathematical logic, NOT X means "X is
known or deduced to be always false."  (Benjamin Grosof described the
difference as "you must have pure mathematical logic, or ELSE.")

-Ed