Issue on modules - mapping

Barra, Rogerio Barra at aticorp.org
Wed Nov 8 09:43:38 EST 2000

Julian,

During the shape appearance and layers modules ballot (1001-1009) the
following issue was submitted:

Issue Reference No.: GER-1001-14
	Originator:	Ullrich Pfeifer - pfeifer at dik.tu-darmstadt.de
Date:
	Urgency/Type:	major, technical	Page:	clause 5.1
	Sentence/abstract/keywords:
	Issue Description:
	there is no mapping for appearance

	Proposed Solutions/Remarks:
	add mapping or explanation

	Resolution:
Entity appearance is an abstract supertype whose subtypes are only known in
modules that use 1001 (e.g., part 1009 - Shape Appearance and Layers). As a
result, it is not mapped in part 1001. This issue will be forwarded to the
Quality Committee.

I have been told to get input from QC on this issue. My point of view is
that, in modules, we may have abstract types that are placeholders and
therefore the mapping is not known. These abstract types will have subtypes
in modules that reference the module being specified. The mapping therefore
should be defined in the subtypes.

I would appreciate your input on this issue.

Regards,

Rogerio

	Rogerio Barra, Ph.D.			mailto:barra at aticorp.org
	Advanced Technology Institute		Voice : (843) 760-3378
	5300 International Blvd.		Fax    : (843)760-3349
	N. Charleston, SC  29418		http://www.aticorp.org/