UML 2.0 and EXPRESS

Bernd G. Wenzel Bernd.Wenzel at eurostep.com
Wed Aug 23 09:52:49 EDT 2000

Ladies and gentlemen,

please apologise, if you have received multiple copies of this
message.

OMG's Analysis & Design Platform Technology Taskforce (ADPTF)
plans to issue four RFPs (requests for proposal) for enhancements
and/or extensions of UML at the forthcoming OMG Technical Meeting
in Burlingame, CA. You may find these RFPs at the URL given in
the attached message.

>From SC4's perspective the most important one is labelled "UML
Infrastructure". There you'll find an optional requirement to
align UML with other modelling languages. In addition, the
section "Document References" contains a reference to EXPRESS.

This is not everything, I had hoped for, but it is definitely
good progress from where my efforts started 9 months ago. In
particular, the ADPTF is now aware, that EXPRESS is not only the
name of a datawarehousing product from ORACLE. I'm also working
the issue to upgrade the requirement from optional to mandatory
during the next 3 weeks, but I will stop doing so, if this would
cause a delay for issuing the RFP. I want to work the issue as a
friend if not member of the ADPTF, not as their opponent or
enemy.

Nevertheless, all P- and O-members in SC4 should contact their
national representatives in JTC1 to enter a comment about the
importance of the UML/EXPRESS harmonisation into the ballot for
ISO/IEC DIS 19501-1 (see attached my earlier message). This can
only strengthen our position in this context.

Last but not least, SC4 needs to start a discussion in Charleston
the latest on how we are going to organise our work together with
the Submitters of this particular RFP in order to turn it into a
success.

:-) Bernd