[step-manufacturing] Standards are like icebergs - review of 2019

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Dec 16 10:25:35 EST 2019

Standards are like icebergs they move slowly, but change everything.

2019 has been a record year for the STEP iceberg.

  * STEP AP242 Edition 2 is finished and ready for final publication in
    early 2020.
  * STEP-NC AP238 Edition 2 is being balloted for final publication
    later in 2020.
  * CAD/CAM Vendors have extended their translators to include new
    information
  * More than one million parts were machined using STEP-NC in 2019

You can stick your head in the sand and hope the iceberg misses you.
However, the worlds biggest organizations know model based development
will significantly reduce start up costs for new manufacturing programs.
We can help you get ready. Our advanced API's are being used to machine
millions of parts. Our libraries are being used by leading CAD, CAM and
BIM vendors to read and write STEP, STEP-NC and IFC data. We are making
the first test beds for supervising digital manufacturing. Contact us if
you would like to know more.

Martin