[step-manufacturing] AP238 Edition 2, decision on Additive Manufacturing, and Robot drill and fill video

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon May 6 10:50:27 EDT 2019

All,

As you know AP238 is being used in production with every new commercial
air-frame of one manufacturer using STEP-NC.

We are now making significant progress on deploying STEP-NC to control
robots with much more to come - see the attached video.

Therefore, it is important that we complete Edition 2 to make the
results of 10 years of testing available to everybody.

I am pleased to announce all sections of AP238 Edition 2 have now been
completed except for the AIM long form: https://stepmfg.github.io/ap238e2/

The new edition is modular which has made the main document much more
concise. Approximately 200 objects are mapped in this edition compared
to 400 in Edition 1.

Another 1,200 objects (again all numbers are approximates) are included
from the STEP library so the new standard is about 1,500 objects
compared to the 400 in Edition 1.

The remaining issues to be be decided in Toulouse are how to make the
new long form, and how to include Part 17 of ISO 14649 so that STEP-NC
AP238 can be used for additive manufacturing.

If you want to know more about the new edition, there is an extensive
change log here: https://stepmfg.github.io/ap238e2/annexK.htm

Martin