[step-manufacturing] Reminder: Wednesday call - blue sky discussion on IMTS 2018

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Jun 26 08:02:15 EDT 2017

All,

On Wednesday we will continue the blue sky discussion on the Build
Anywhere Challenge for IMTS 2018.

A possible draft agenda is shown in the attachment and copied below.

Martin Hardwick
Convener WG15 Digital Manufacturing

*Build Anywhere Challenge*

*at IMTS 2018*

In order to demonstrate that the digital thread enables “build
anywhere”, we are asking IMTS vendors to participate in the following
challenges.

1.*_Measure Anywhere_*: add dimensions and tolerances to a part you are
already planning to machine so that we can validate it is meeting its
tolerances using a CMM.

2.*_Machine Anywhere_*: machine a part to be supplied by us so that we
can validate it is meeting its tolerances using a touch probe.

3.*_Manufacture Anywhere_*: machine a test part that will be released on
the day of the challenge so that we can validate it is meeting its
tolerances using a digital twin.

In each challenge, we will make a STEP file containing design
tolerances, and return a QIF file describing how well the part has met
those tolerances.

For the first challenge, you can connect your CNC to a CMM using sneaker
net. For the second challenge, your CNC will need a touch probe that can
be connected to a CMM server using MTConnect. For the third challenge,
your CNC will be connected to a digital twin server using a high speed
MTConnect.

For the first challenge, you can use any machining solution. For the
second challenge, we will provide optional machining solutions for
different tooling configurations in a STEP-NC file. For the third
challenge, we will ask you to use one of the STEP-NC machining solutions
we release on the day of the show.

_Schedule (July 2017 to November 2018)_

•Month 1 - endorsement of standards groups

•Month 2 – endorsement of challenge sponsors

•Month 3, 4, 5 – presentations to interested parties

•Months 6 to 12 – rehearsals at test sites

•Month 14 & 16 – IMTS and JIMTOF

7:30AM Pacific, 10:30AM Eastern, 3:30PM UK, 4:30PM Europe
1. Please join my meeting.
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/join/285940474

2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended.
Or, call in using your telephone.

Australia: +61 2 6108 4655
Austria: +43 (0) 7 2088 1403
Belgium: +32 (0) 28 08 4294