[step-manufacturing] Minutes of November 16th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Nov 18 14:48:55 EST 2016

Attendees
--------------

Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Oliver Rigollet, Datakit, France
Pierre Duchier, Airbus, France
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired) USA
John Bijnens, KU Leuven, Belgium
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Dan Finke, PSU, USA
Bob Ericksson, P&W, USA
Ted Driggs, Okuma, USA
Larry Maggiano, Miututoyo, USA

We discussed how to integrate machining and measurement using STEP,
MTConnect and QIF. In October we related products and tolerances in
STEP, to parts and characteristics in QIF, using UUID anchor's in the
STEP data, and QPID's in the QIF data.

In February we would like to prototype the addition of similar UUID's
and QPID's to MTConnect so that a measurement on the CNC can be related
to an operation in the machining program and a characteristic in the
measurement program.

We discussed how to make the measurements. For February we will use
traditional touch probing, and if successful follow this up with
measurement using a laser scanner in July.

Touch probing has the advantage of allowing us to program the operation
in STEP-NC. If this operation is translated into a Renishaw macro, then
the probe results can be reported as a value associated to a UUID for
the machining, and a QPID for the measurement.

A video and presentation material have been added to the archive
describing the Swedish STEP-NC tweeting demonstration. The presentation
on integrating AP242 and ISO 13399 has also been added. The integration
allows the tooling parameters in an ISO 13399 file to be shown as
dimensions on an AP242 model. We agreed to use this new tooling in the
February demonstration.

A recording of this call is in the archive at the following URL :
ftp://downloads.steptools.com/private/JWG15/Cycle8/WG15_STEP_Manufacturing_20161116.mp4

The next conference call will be held at the regular times on Wednesday
November 30th.

Martin Hardwick
Convener WG15 Digital Manufacturing

Action Items