[step-manufacturing] Minutes of January 27th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Jan 29 14:52:11 EST 2016

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Samson Bonfante, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Christian Callet, Datakit, France
Pierre Duchier, Airbus, France
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Hubert Ekongolo, Aix Marseille University, France
Doron Cohen, Iscar, Israel
JuMyung, POSTECH, Korea
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Bob Erickson, Pratt and Whitney, USA
Dan Finke, Penn State University, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA
Thanh Huynh, Okuma, USA
Zhigang Wang, Makino, USA
Larry Maggiano, Miututoyo, USA
Michael Howard, UILabs, USA
Paul Huang, ONR, USA
Tom Scotton, CCAT, USA

We continued the discussion of the machining and measurement
demonstration to be held at the Future of Flight Museum in Mukilteo,
Washington State on October 5th.

We showed new technology developed by the Mind the Gap project for
visualizing machining processes in smart phones and tablets. The
demonstration was given on previously recorded MTConnect data.  The
visualization technology is currently limited to showing 3 axis
machining for a single tool.
http://www.steptools.com/demos/mtc/

For the final demonstration we will have technology that (1) optimizes
the machining process for different tools and materials, and (2)
measures the results of the process on a virtual CMM.

The 5-axis boxy test part has a process plan for soft materials (e.g.
foam and perhaps aluminum). The demonstration will use titanium so the
process must be changed. The following slides outline a plan for making
the changes using the NC Generation service:
ftp://downloads.steptools.com/private/JWG15/Cycle7/Machining_Process_Planning_Service.pptx

Testing with the Okuma at STEP Tools has shown that the machining
process must be sampled at least every 50 milliseconds to ensure
accuracy of the measurements.

We decided to have a technical team pre-meeting at STEP Tools on June
14th and 15th in Troy NY to validate the development of the three
services and their application to the demonstration.

A recording of this conference call is at the URL below
ftp://downloads.steptools.com/private/JWG15/Cycle7/JWG_15_20160127.mp4

The next meeting will be at the regular times on February 10th.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader

Action Items