[step-manufacturing] Minutes of January 13th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Jan 13 11:34:33 EST 2016

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Christian Callet, Datakit, France
Pierre Duchier, Airbus, France
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Bob Erickson, Pratt and Whitney, USA
Dan Finke, Penn State University, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA
Thanh Huynh, Okuma, USA
Larry Maggiano, Miututoyo, USA
Michael Howard, UILabs, USA

We discussed the machining and measurement demonstration to be held at
the Future of Flight Museum in Mukilteo, Washington State on October
5th. We are planning for this to be a joint meeting of ISO STEP,
MTConnect and OMAC. The demonstration will be given for this audience
and a team of Boeing managers from the nearby plants.

We discussed what units we should use for the part and tentatively
agreed that they should be millimeters including the tool paths, the
GD&T and the cutters.

We discussed what material and agreed that it should be a hard metal
such as titanium and that the machine can hold tolerances to about 0.2
of a thousandth inch (.0002") or 12.5 micrometers for this material.

We discussed if we should machine a part of more relevance to the
aerospace industry and whether we should obtain the machining data from
an aerospace CAM system such as CATIA or NX.

We discussed whether we should have a technical face to face meeting in
the Spring.

Many apologies for a failure to make a recording of this conference
call. The next meeting will be at the regular times on January 27th.

Martin Hardwick
Convener JWG15