[step-manufacturing] Minutes of June 24th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Jun 29 14:13:33 EDT 2015

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Mangus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Alain Brail, AIrbus (retired), France
Hubert Ekongolo, Aix Marseille University, France
Ted Driggs, Okuma, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Graham Hemingway, Vanderbilt, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
Charles Gilman, GE, USA
Robert Erickson, Pratt and Whitney, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA

1. We agreed on the following "Blurb" for the Digital Manufacturing Day
introduction.

Manufacturing digitization is a hot topic. Industry 4.0, 3D Printing and
even the Internet of Things (IoT) are closely related but what does it
really mean? This SC4 workshop will look at standards for "wiring up"
digital manufacturing. How are we going to communicate design
requirements? What will be expected of the supply chain? How will we
make 3D data for new advanced machines? How will they enable
cross-functional sharing. What will be the impact on quality assurance
and the Production Part Approval Process (PPAP)? ISO TC184/SC4 has been
developing standards for digital product data for 30 years. They cover
much of digital manufacturing. While not yet finished, they are
integrated, fully extensible, widely implemented, and available for you
to get started today. So consider joining us at the Pier 5 Hotel in
Baltimore on October 21st. We will give you a quick tutorial, discuss
industry requirements, show some innovative vendors solutions, and
introduce you to the 5M's: Model, Machine, Monitor, Measure and Modify.

2. Preparing the new edition of AP238.
We discussed the following data instance diagram showing how to
reference ISO 13399 definition from a STEP Application Protocol using
EXPRESS constants. The approach seems quite promising because the
entities in blue can be defined once in the schema.
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/p21ed3_partitioning_for_a_cutting_tool_assembly_2015-06-24.pptx

3. Getting started on the Mind the Gap and O3 projects.
We discussed the items necessary to get started on the Mind the Gap
project. GE is preparing CAM data for the engine bracket. STEP Tools and
Siemens are discussing the implementation of an AP238 translator for NX.

KTH has developed a STEP-NC model for a new test part.
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/KTH_special_axle.jpg

A recording of this conference calls is on the web site at the address
below:
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/stepmanuf_telecon_20150624.wmv

The next conference call is planned for Wednesday July 15th.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader ISO STEP-Manufacturing