[step-manufacturing] Modified blurb for Industry day

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Jun 24 14:17:30 EDT 2015

All,

Thanks for a good call today. The full minutes will follow. In the mean
time, the deadline for the manufacturing blurb is later today so I have
made a new version copied below. If you have any suggestions for further
improvements please let me know.

As a reward I have attached the jpeg for the new KTH part that will be
ready in August. If you look at it before reading the blurb something
bad will happen!

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader ISO STEP-Manufacturing

Manufacturing digitization is a hot topic. Industry 4.0, 3D Printing and
even the Internet of Things (IoT) are closely related but what does it
really mean? This SC4 workshop will look at standards for "wiring up"
digital manufacturing. How are we going to communicate design
requirements? What will be expected of the supply chain? How will we
make 3D data for new advanced machines? How will they enable
cross-functional sharing. What will be the impact on quality assurance
and the Product, Part, Approval Process (PPAP)? ISO TC184/SC4 has been
developing standards for digital product data for 30 years. They cover
much of digital manufacturing. While not yet finished, they are
integrated, fully extensible, widely implemented, and available for you
to get started today. So consider joining us at the Pier 5 Hotel in
Baltimore on October 21st. We will give you a quick tutorial, discuss
industry requirements, show some innovative vendors solutions, and
introduce you to the 5M's: Model, Machine, Monitor, Measure and Modify.