[step-manufacturing] Minutes of November 26th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Nov 26 16:33:03 EST 2014

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Julie Huang, Sandvik Sweden
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Magnus, Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Christian Callet, Data Kit, France
Kevin Le  Tutour, Boost-Conseil, France
Bryan Dods, GE Power and Water, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA
Zhigang Wang, Makino, USA
Doron Cohen, Iscar, Israel
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA

First. we reviewed a project that is being negotiated to develop cloud
services for STEP-NC. Three services are proposed (see attachment)

1. A tool path generation service for stage models.
2. A remote 3D visualization service for machining.
3. A tooling service to optimize a solution for different machines and
cutters.

The toolpath generation service is to be developed by ARL of Penn State
University using technology that has been developed to compute the
volume differences between two stage models, and then generate tool
paths to remove those volumes. The remote 3D visualization service is to
be developed by Vanderbilt University using technology that has been
developed to enable web collaboration on the design and manufacturing of
3D models. We, the members of STEP-Manufacturing, are to develop the
tooling optimization service. The first test part is a GE Mounting
Bracket used to attach the aircraft engine to the airframe. Boeing will
machine this part in its lab and we are to optimize its manufacture so
that it can be machined at many different locations using a wide range
of machines and cutters.

Material: Ti-6Al-4V
Service Temperature: 75 F
Minimum material feature size (wall thickness): 0.050 in.
Interface 1: 0.75 inch diameter pin. The pin is to be considered
infinitely stiff.
Interfaces 2 -- 5: 0.375-24 AS3239-26 machine bolt. Nut face 0.405 in.
max ID and 0.558 in. min OD. The bolts are to be considered infinitely
stiff.

Load Conditions:
1. Max static linear load of 8,000 lbs vertical up.
2. Max static linear load of 8,500 lbs horizontal out.
3. Max static linear load of 9,500 lbs 42 degrees from vertical.
4. Max static torsional load of 5,000 lb-in horizontal at intersection
of centerline of pin and midpoint between clevis arms.

https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/competitions/specs/110/original.stp

Second, we reviewed the manufacturing related extensions to the second
edition of AP242 proposed by Sweden. There is wide agreement on the
goals but consensus has yet to be reached on the best way to manage
unique requirements for different instances of an item, such as a bolt
or a seal, in a manufacturing bill of material.

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_5/ISO_10303-242_ed2_SIS.pdf
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_5/Comments_on_AP242e2_proposal.txt

Third, we discussed the MTConnect feedback loop from the machine tool to
the STEP-NC simulator. STEP Tools is revising its API for implementing
the loop to make it easier to deploy and modify. The API will include
sample code for reading the MTConnectStreams data and setting the
current position of the simulator to match the current position of the
machine tool. The following element contains what we believe is the
critical data.

<PathPosition dataItemId="p1_LPathPos"
timestamp="2014-11-10T03:10:43.9218750Z" name="p1_LPathPos"
sequence="70">-355.578 -54.624 115.682</PathPosition>

We would like the other machine tool vendors to validate if they are
also writing this data and if possible to send us examples of their
MTConnectStreams output. The stream used to extract the above element
can be found here:
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_5/feed_back.xml

The next two conference calls will be held on December 10 and December
17 at the regular times and will feature presentations on the technology
that will be used to develop the Tool Path Generation and 3D Process
Visualization services. Recordings of the last two conference calls are
on the web site below:

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_5/stepmanuf_telecon_20141112.wmv
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_5/stepmanuf_telecon_20141126.wmv

Please reserve February 12th and 13th on your calendars for the kickoff
meeting. We would like you to join us in Orlando if possible and on the
simultaneous telecon if not.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader ISO STEP-Manufacturing