[step-manufacturing] Minutes of October 1st conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Oct 3 15:44:39 EDT 2014

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Julie Huang, Sandvik Sweden
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Mangus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Robert Erickson, Pratt and Whitney, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA
Bryan Dods, GE Power and Water, USA
Tom Raun, Iscar, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA

We discussed the white paper. The paper should be broad in concept and
describe one or more significant manufacturing problems. It should
describe what functionalities are required to fix the problems and then
give our technical proposals.

After much discussion it was suggested that we focus on the difficulty
of moving work between machines and plants (the Build Anywhere problem).
We should describe how we must transition away from machine specific
code based solutions and into machine independent model based solutions.
We should discuss how models enable third parties to optimize, customize
and localize solutions using cloud based services. We should also
describe how models enable automated verification using CMMs and other
types of measuring equipment.

We can then discuss how STEP-NC enables a model based solution, the test
cases we have developed to verify its functionality, and the solutions
we are developing to enable its deployment.

After the discussion, David Loffredo demonstrated the new API that STEP
Tools is developing to enable feedback from the machining control system
to the machining simulation system. This API is a generalization of the
interface previously developed to operate the Okuma control from the
STEP-NC Machine simulator for the IMTS demonstration. For more details
see the meeting recording.

The next conference call will be held at the regular times on Wednesday
October 8.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_5/stepmanuf_telecon_20141001.wmv