[step-manufacturing] Minutes of September 24th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Sep 25 07:27:05 EDT 2014

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Julie Huang, Sandvik Sweden
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Mangus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Robert Erickson, Pratt and Whitney, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Bob Baldizzi, Okuma, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA
Zhigang Wang, Makino, USA
Bryan Dods, GE Power and Water, USA
Christian Callet, Datakit, France

The team members introduced themselves and outlined why they were part
of the team.

Name

Organization

Priorities

Bengt Olsson
Julie Huang

SandvikCoromant

Optimizingproduct information for cutting tools

Alain Brail

Airbus (retired)

Validating the progressof our efforts to deploy model based machining

Bob Baldizzi

Okuma USA

Understanding howto implement next generation controls that use a
graphical interface

BobErickson

Pratt& Whitney

Making supplychain communication more efficient

David Odendahl
Sid Venkatesh
Leon Xu

Boeing

Rethinkingthe post-processor

Bryan Dods

GEPower and Water

Makingit easier to move machining work between sites.

Making it easier to integrate newly acquired businesses.

Making it easier to localize content for units etc

Shortening the cycle time between CAD and CNC

Vincent Marchetti

Independentdeveloper

Enabling lightweight visualization in X3D and X3DOM

ZhigangWang

Makino USA

Understanding how machine tool builders canbestimplement model based
machining

We discussed priorities for the next cycle. We agreed on three tasks -
extending the range of CAM translators, implementing more controls, and
developing a white paper on our vision for how model based machining and
cloud services will impact manufacturing and assembly in 2025.

On the CAM translators, we would like to increase the number of CAM
vendors participating and extend the translators that have been
implemented. We will invite new vendors to participate in the next
conference call.

On the controls, STEP Tools is implementing a toolkit to enable STEP-NC
implementation for new and legacy controls.

On the white paper we decided our first priority should be to determine
a scope. The focus of our team is on enabling, optimizing and adapting
motion control in the context of CAD geometry. This includes both
subtractive and additive manufacturing applications. Our technology is
most relevant for applications where the end user needs to determine all
or part of the process by selecting or adapting paths or operations. The
applications include traditional machining, new types of less rigid
machining such as robot machining, tape and fiber layup, and advanced
(e.g. five axis) powder deposition. The applications can include heat
treatment and other applications normally controlled using a PLC, but
this is not a central theme, and is included only so that a process plan
can be complete.

There is a close synergy with metrology because it determines how well
the machined model meets the CAD PMI and by sharing information we can
improve the quality of the in-process product.

A recording of this conference call and the previous conference call can
be found below.

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_5/stepmanuf_telecon_20140924.wmv
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_5/stepmanuf_telecon_20140903.wmv