[step-manufacturing] Minutes of February 5th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Feb 7 14:48:23 EST 2014

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Yujiang Li, KTH, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Julie Huang, Sandvik, Sweden
Mike Restall, Sandvik, USA
Kevin Warren, Sandvik, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Fred Proctor, NIST USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA
Thomas Raun, ISCAR, USA
Yin Lampard Zhang, University of Auckland, New Zealand

We reviewed the current status of the software. STEP Tools has updated
the STEP-NC export for Mastercam to X7, they have released a personal
edition of ST-Developer, and they are starting to verify processes
using  the STEP-NC simulator they have been developing for their DARPA
SBIR project.

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_2/20140205_status.pptx

We discussed a unit issue with the ISO 13399 files. Sandvik has been
using "in" for inch units and Iscar has been using "inch". We agreed to
agree on a common term for the future.

We discussed the assembly of the Iscar tool data. There are STEP models
in the Iscar database for their cutting tool components but the assembly
data is not yet included in the ISO 13399 files.

We discussed obtaining better machine tool models. Delivery of a STEP
model for a new machine tool is now a contractual requirement for some
organizations, but the models are not yet required to kinematics
information. Therefore, this data has to be entered by hand  which is
both time consuming and error prone because the data is needed in many
different CAM and simulation systems.

We will discuss how to accelerate the inclusion of the required
kinematics information in machine tool models at the workshop.

A recording of the call is on the ftp site.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_2/stepmanuf_telecon_20140205.wmv

The next conference call will be at the regular times on Wednesday
February 26th. The workshop will be held next week.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_2/ARC_OMAC_2014.pdf

Action Items
1. Boeing to machine the profile and pocketing operations using the v16
Sandvik process
2. STEP Tools to add functionality to the STEP-NC Explorer to convert
ISO 13399 data between units
3. Sandvik to determine common nomenclature for inch units in ISO 13399
files.