[step-manufacturing] Minutes of December 4th telecon

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Dec 4 18:14:26 EST 2013

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Julie Huang, Sandvik, Sweden
Mike Tedeborg, Sandvik, Sweden
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Mike Restall, Sandvik, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Thomas Raun, ISCAR, USA
Doron Cohen, ISCAR, Israel
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
Yin Lampard Zhang, University of Auckland, New Zealand

Apologies for absence
------------------------------
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Kevin Warren, Sandvik, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA

We discussed machining the result of the second round of optimizations:

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_2/v9_HARMOLDY_Three_solution.zip

The part will be machined at Boeing and KTH. The same process and
tooling will be used at both locations to verify the results. Only the
optimized operations will be machined to save time.

The two tool vendors should send cutting tools and tool holders to both
locations. The KTH machine uses HSK tool holders and the Boeing machine
uses CAT tool holders.

If possible the tooling and holders should be delivered to KTH and
Boeing by Monday, December 9th.

We discussed the in process models. For roughing operations these models
are misleading when the in-process solid has been generated from a tool
path that is an approximation of the surface.

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_2/Workshop_on_in_process_solids.pdf

We discussed improving the tooling documentation. We need to include a
standard reference for the origin of each tool.

We discussed the MBE Summit at NIST. All the participants must register
by December 12th. Out team will be staying at the Gaithersburg Hilton.
There will be a dinner on Wednesday night (Dec 18th).

http://www.nist.gov/el/msid/mbesummit_2013.cfm

Recordings of the last two conference calls are on the web site.

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_2/stepmanuf_telecon_20131204.wmv
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_2/stepmanuf_telecon_20131120.wmv

The next conference call will be at the regular times on Wednesday
December 11th (one week earlier than usual).

Action Items