[step-manufacturing] Minutes of January 23 conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Jan 24 14:28:40 EST 2013

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Mikael Tedeborg, Sandvik, Sweden
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing USA
Doron Cohen, Iscar, Israel
Ian Stroud, EPFL, Switzerland

Apologies for Absence
------------------------------
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
David Madeley, Siemens NX, UK
Sanjay Parimi ("VR"), Army, USA

We agreed that April 8th and 9th should be the dates for the first face
to face meeting because attendees will then be able to move on to an MT
Connect meeting on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the same week.
David Madeley is confirming the
availability of CCAM on these dates.

We reviewed an early draft of a business case questionnaire being
prepared by David Odendahl. The questionnaire seeks to promote STEP-NC
while asking key questions about how technical contracting is performed
at the enterprise. The questions are multiple choice to make replies
easy and to increase the anonymity of the respondents. A full draft will
be put on the ftp site when it is ready for review. We are all asked to
pay particular attention to the sections appropriate for our category of
business.

We reviewed some of the technical resources being prepared to help
vendors implement STEP-NC translators. STEP Tools has made an open
version of the STEP-NC library used in the DLL of the STEP-NC Explorer.
This library is more modular and easier to extend than the DLL library.
We agreed that these libraries should be tested in advance of the CCAM
meeting. STEP Tools will arrange for evaluations by Boeing and NIST.

The documentation for the DLL is here:
http://www.steptools.com/support/stepnc_docs/stepncdll/

The documentation for the new modular libraries is here:
http://www.steptools.com/support/stdev_docs/operation_maker/
http://www.steptools.com/support/stdev_docs/tolerance_maker/
http://www.steptools.com/support/stdev_docs/feature_maker/
http://www.steptools.com/support/stdev_docs/tool_maker/

STEP Tools is rewriting its STEP-NC translator for Mastercam to use the
new libraries.

The next conference call will take place at the regular times on
Wednesday February 6th. The new edition of Part 21 (e3) will be reviewed
at this meeting.  A draft will be put onto the ftp site by February 1st.
The purpose of the review will be to make sure that the Draft
International Standard meets its requirements before it is sent to the
ISO countries for voting.

A recording of this conference call is available at the following ftp site:

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_1/stepmanuf_telecon_20130123.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader ISO STEP-Manufacturing

Action Items
1. David Madeley to confirm the availability of CCAM on April 8th and 9th.
3. David Odendahl and Martin Hardwick to publish a draft of the STEP-NC
questionnaire on the ftp site.
4. Boeing and NIST to test the new STEP-NC libraries.
5. Martin Hardwick to put a preview of the new edition of Part 21 onto
the ftp site.