[step-manufacturing] Minutes of 8/15 telecon - agenda for IMTS meeting

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Aug 15 15:51:26 EDT 2012

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Doron Cohen, ISCAR, Israel
Bengt Olsson, Sandik, Sweden
Fiona Zhao, McGill University, Canada
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Wen Jiang, Boeing, USA

Mastercam, Siemens, Delcam, EdgeCAM and OpenMind have confirmed
participation at the IMTS meeting. Others are reviewing - with no
negative responses yet.

The following was proposed as the IMTS meeting agenda:

1. Quick summary of what is on the poster
2. Show them our example - discuss the timeline
3. Listen to their concerns
4. Action items and follow-up

We discussed the scope for the first round of data exchange. Three
possibilities were suggested:

a. CAM to CNC exchange using CC1 (toolpaths).
b. CAM to CAM exchange using CC3 (operations)
c. If there is sufficient time and interest a combination of a and b.

The issue with CC1 is that it is, in many ways, an update of the current
M&G codes to include STEP geometry. Many of the advantages of STEP-NC
including last minute tooling changes, better simulations and adaptive
fixturing require CC3 so we want CC3 to be implemented for CAM to CNC
exchange as well as for CAM to CAM exchange. The following file from
Alain Brail gives more details:

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/IMTS/20120815-Pr%C3%A9sentation.ppt

If CC3 is the focus then it was suggested that we should restrict the
domain to 3-axis machining and use Boxy as the test part. This has the
advantage of allowing full participation by all the vendors, and giving
the end users the data necessary for advanced applications. The
following timeline was suggested for testing this 3-axis data exchange:

Timeline
1. Go/No-go for each participant in 1-3 months.
2. First meeting in 3-6 months - make the Boxy part in your systems so
we can review.
3. Second meeting at 9-12 months write a Boxy STEP file from your systems.
4. Third meeting at 15-18 months read our Boxy data into your system
http://www.steptools.com/products/stepncmachine/samples/boxy/
5. Fourth meeting 21-24 months test data exchange of Boxy's between all
participants.

This timeline to be adjusted for the concerns of the vendors and end
users at the IMTS meeting.

The next telecon will be held on Wednesday August 22nd at the regular
times, but one week earlier than usual so that we can make plans to
contact any vendors who have not yet responded to the e-mail. A
recording of this meeting is at the following ftp site:

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/stepmanuf_telecon_20120815.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing

Action Item
1. STEP Tools to measure the file size for Boxy in Part 21 and Part 28
forms.
2. All to review the proposed scope and timeline.