[step-manufacturing] Minutes of February 22nd telecon

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Feb 27 11:10:21 EST 2012

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA*
*
Apologies for Absence
-------------------------------
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Arnaud KREMER,  Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Arts et Métiers, France
Tom Scotton, CCAT, USA
Aydin Nassehi, University of Bath, UK
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA

1. We continued our discussion on how to define the control algorithm
for machine kinematics data exchange between AP-242 and AP-238. ISO 841
has a lot of useful definitions but not enough for our purposes. It was
pointed out that no algorithm is necessary if we limit ourselves to the
types of machines currently included in ST-Machine because they can be
determined from the axis names of the kinematic links in the data.
Therefore, it was decided to table the kinematic algorithm issue until
we have examples of machines that cannot be uniquely determined in this way.

2. We did a walkthru of the demo scenario documentation produced by KTH.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/STEP_manufacturing_demo_scenario_14_June_2012.pdf

The demonstration is ambitious but seems to be within our reach. A
questions was raised about the necessary inputs for the NIST HTM
evaluation engine. We assumed that the inputs will be the the position
of each kinematic link in machine space at the point to be evaluated but
this needs to be confirmed.

We discussed if the demonstration should be applied to a new part or one
of the previously demonstrated parts such as Boxy, the Impeller or the
CDS part. This discussion will continue in the next telecon.

3. We discussed the logistics of the meeting.

STEP-Manufacturing will meet for all 5 days of the STEP meeting.
Industry presentations will be given on Wednesday and manufacturing
demonstrations will be given at KTH on Thursday.  We expect to have a
full day of technical meetings on Friday so visitors from the USA should
not plan to leave until Saturday.

The registration site for the meeting is now open at:

http://www.sis.se/sc4

We recommend that the STEP-Manufacturing team members select the Hotel
Malmen Scandic which is close to the SC4 meeting site and the Metro.

The next telecon will be held on Wednesday March 7th. A recording of
this meeting is at the following ftp site

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/stepmanuf_telecon_20120222.wmv

Action Items:
1. All to consider what type of part should be used for the KTH
demonstration.
2. Mikael Hedlind to develop a procedure for selecting a kinematic
algorithm from a set of kinematic links.
3. NIST to clarify the inputs required for the HTM evaluation.