[step-manufacturing] Minutes of conference call on Wednesday February 8

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Feb 13 08:10:26 EST 2012

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Yujiang Li, KTH Sweden
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Ian Stroud, EPFL, Switzerland
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Erik Jacobson, GE Energy, USA*
*
Apologies for Absence
-------------------------------
Arnaud KREMER,  Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Arts et Métiers, France
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing USA
Tom Scotton, CCAT, USA
Aydin Nassehi, University of Bath, UK

1. We discussed the requirement for including an algorithm description
in the AP-242 kinematics data exchange. There was some uncertainty about
what information is necessary. If a machine has three axes and there are
three kinematic links labelled X, Y and Z then no additional information
would seem to be necessary. If a machine has two axes there may be
ambiguity if the kinematic links are labelled P and Q and neither of
them coincide with the directions of the X and Y axes.

We were unable to reach a conclusion. Two solutions will be
investigated. The first will create an algorithm for computing the
configuration of a machine from the labels on its kinematic links or
from the direction of their movements. The second will determine if the
ISO 841 standard has sufficient normative information to define an
algorithm for machining (three and five axis machines in gantry,
trunnion and nutating table configurations) and some of the other types
(6 axis robots, tape and fiber layup, hexapods) that we have begun modeling.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/ISO_841_excerpt.pdf    (note
new directory)

2. We discussed the machining accuracy demonstration that will be given
at the Stockholm meeting. KTH has been able to create an AP-242 file
that includes positional accuracy data for its kinematic links. This
data was mapped from an ASME B5.59 data and requires 12 measurement
values to be recorded for each measured point for each kinematic link.

The demonstration will include contributions from:

a. STEP Tools who will compute the required positions of the kinematic
links from the STEP-NC machining data
b. NIST who will compute the predicted positions of the links from the
required positions.
c. Boeing who will compute the deflection of the cutting tool from the
machining forces (material properties and cutting cross section data).
d. KTH who will assemble all the data and determine if the final
position of the cutting tool is in or out of conformance with respect to
the tolerance constraints placed on the surface being machined.

3. We discussed the logistics of the meeting.

STEP-Manufacturing will meet for all 5 days of the STEP meeting.
Industry presentations will be given on Wednesday and manufacturing
demonstrations will be given at KTH on Thursday.  We expect to have a
full day of technical meetings on Friday so visitors from the USA should
not plan to leave until Saturday.

There are many hotels close to the meeting site in Stockholm. No hotel
has been preselected for the meeting because the discounts available on
web site like Hotels.com are better than the group discounts for a
meeting this close to mid-summer.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/TC184_SC4_Stockholm_Juni_2012_(T24_presentation_2012-02-07).pdf

We recommend that the STEP-Manufacturing team members select the Hotel
Scandic which is close to the SC4 meeting site and the Metro. The
following keywords will find the hotel in Google and the eagerness of
the travel web sites will do the rest for you.

Scandic Malmen Stockholm Hotel

The address is Götgatan 49-51, 102 66 Stockholm, Sweden +46 8 517 347 00

The next telecon will be held on Wednesday the 22nd of February. A full
recording of this meeting is at the following URL.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Stockholm2/stepmanuf_telecon_20120208.wmv

Action Items:
1. Leon Xu to examine the ISO 841 documentation for normative
descriptions of the STEP-Manufacturing machines.
2. Mikael Hedlind to develop a procedure for selecting a kinematic
algorithm from a set of kinematic links.
3. Mikael Hedlind to continue developing the demonstration scenario.