[step-manufacturing] Minutes of September 9 conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Sep 12 14:50:17 EDT 2011

Attendees
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Leon Xu, Boeing. USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Aydin Nassehi, University of Bath, UK
Charles Gilman, GE, USA

Apologies for Absence:
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA

We discussed following five agenda items.

a. CAM to CAM data exchange
In the USA we are waiting for an RFP to be issued which we hope will
give support to the implementation of data exchange translators for CAM
process data. In Europe there has been limited experimental work on
implementing CAM import and export using STEP-NC but it is not at a
level that could be used for commercial implementation. In
STEP-Manufacturing we have implemented a CC3 export tool for Mastercam
and there are tools that can be used to convert low level APT and Gcode
to CC1.

b. Automated tool assembly
We have been working on a tool to import cutting tool assembly data from
an ISO 13399 database. Our tests are indicating that additional
information may be needed to perform the geometric assembly of the
cutting tool data. In previous work KTH has shown how to layer ISO 13399
onto AP-214 information using product properties. This will allow us to
support full geometric assembly of the cutting tool data while also
supporting the ISO 13399 parameters. STEP Tools will update its software
as soon as it can so that it can read ISO 13399 data from an AP-214 file.

c. Automated feed-speed optimization
Today we need a third party system to make the cross section data
required for feed-speed optimization. Configuring a third party tool so
that it can compute the necessary data is very time consuming.  We are
in the process of implementing a STEP-NC simulator that will allow us to
compute the cross section data directly from the STEP-NC. We will then
be able to automate the computation of feeds and speeds from this data
and the machine and cutting tool properties that we will be importing
using AP-214.

d. Accuracy prediction
NIST has a system that can measure the unloaded geometric accuracy of a
machine using a laser. The results of their computations are represented
as Homogeneous Transformation Matrices (HTM) in an extended version of
the ASME 59.2 format. KTH has been doing some experiments to model the
loaded accuracy of a machine tool using a double ball bar. They may also
be able to represent their results as HTM's. The NIST system has a
Matlab implementation and linking that system to STEP-NC will allow us
to predict the tool path deviation. When the STEP-NC simulator is ready
we hope to also be able to predict the tolerances that will be met by
the machining process and compare them to the tolerances required for
the final part by design.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Undecided/110810_an_integrated_process-machine_approach_for_designing_productive_and_lightweight_milling_machines.pdf

e. Closed loop machining
Last year we gave a demonstration of closed loop machining at Boeing
that focused on the correction of setup errors. During the preparation
for the demonstration we discovered that several meteorology systems can
deliver the results of their measurements as STEP files. In the
demonstration we used the STEP faces measured by a FARO arm to correct a
setup in five axes.

A recording of this conference call is on the ftp site.  The next
conference call will be at the regular times on September 23.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Undecided/stepmanuf_telecon_20110909.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader